Frequently Asked Questions
Green Pin® Turnbuckles G-6311, G-6312, G-6313, G-6314, G-6315, G-6323 and G-6333 are suitable for lifting applications. These items have a Proof Load equal to 2 x WLL and Minimum Breaking Load equals to 5x WLL. Of course the “Instructions for use”, as we publish them in our catalogue should be respected at all times.
Note: It is not permitted to adjust the length of the turnbuckle under full load. Tensioning below the WLL is permitted. It is advisable first to adjust roughly the length of the turnbuckle and then load the turnbuckles to a certain tension. The tension may not exceed the full capacity (WLL).
Note: that it is not permitted to lift a load by tensioning (rotating the body) the turnbuckle, as shown in the picture below:
FAQ-Reference PI-02-01. Revision B.
We have realized a small modification of Green Pin® shackles (WLL≥2t) with screw collar pins. In an earlier design, after assembly some of the threading is visible at the shackle eye:
In the current design, hardly or no thread is visible at the shackle eye. We realized this by making a small “chamber” in the shackle eye. The advantage of the new design is reduced wear of counter components like, wire rope, chain, rope and or synthetic web slings and their fittings.
FAQ-Reference: PI-02-02. Rev: 0.
Green Pin Tycan® chains are made from 100% Dyneema® UHMWPE fibers which are very resistant against chemicals and thus have a negligible impact on the lifting capacity or functionality. The fibers are highly crystalline and do not contain any chemical groups such as aromatic rings, amide, hydroxyl or others which are susceptible to attack by aggressive agents. UHMWPE fibers do not swell, hydrolyze or otherwise degrade in water, seawater or moisture. Properties such as tension, fatigue, yarn on yarn abrasion and bending fatigue may improve through contact with water. This is attributed to the cooling or lubricating effect of the water. The chemical resistance has been analyzed using loss of tensile strength as the key indicator. To classify the impact of chemicals the following categories are being used. The tables below offers a general guideline only. The material must always be tested for your specific conditions.
FAQ-Reference: PI-02-07. Rev: A.
It is required that shackles are regularly inspected and that the inspection should take place in accordance with the safety standards given in the country of use. This is required because the products in use may be affected by wear, misuse, overloading etc. with a consequence of deformation and alteration of the material structure. Inspection should take place at least every six months and even more frequently when the shackles are used in severe operating conditions.
Shackles should be inspected to ensure that:
- all markings are legible;
- the body and pin are both identifiable as being of the same size, type and make;
- the threads of the pin and the body are undamaged;
- for a safety bolt type shackle is used with the split cotter pin;
- the body and the pin are not distorted or unduly worn;
- the body and pin are free from nicks, gouges, cracks and corrosion;
- shackles are not heat treated as this may affect their Working Load Limit;
- the shackle is not modified, repaired or reshaped by welding, heating, machining or bending as this will affect the Working Load Limit;
Remove the shackle from service if:
- all markings are not clearly legible;
- body and pin can not be identified as being from same size, type and make;
- the threads of the pin and/or body are damaged;
- for a safety bolt type shackle the split cotter pin is missing;
- the body and/or pin is distorted or unduly worn, the maximum allowable wear is 10% of the original dimension;
- the body and/or pin is not free from nicks, gouges, cracks or corrosion;
- the shackle has been exposed to any heat treatment;
- the shackle is modified, repaired or reshaped by welding, heating, machining or bending;
- t is expected that before the next periodical inspection any of the inspection criteria above will not be passed;
FAQ-Reference: PI-06-01. Rev: 0.
Note: Main dimensions, general info and warnings can be found in our latest catalogue.
If the recommendations in this product information are followed performance of the shackles is guaranteed:
- permanent identification marks, or symbols, are to be made by dot peen marking or with stamps having rounded profiles (low stress stamps).
- the number of marks on a shackle is to be kept to the minimum.
- the use of fractions and oblique strokes is to be avoided and a dot or hyphen is preferable to a dividing line.
- values of WLL are, generally, to be marked to one place of decimals (except for 0.25 and 0.75) up to 100 t and in integers thereafter. The word “tonnes” may be abbreviated to “t”.
- recommended sizes of marks are
- Diameter of part to be marked > recommended size of mark
- less then 12.5 mm > 3.0 mm
- 12.5 to 26 mm > 4.5 mm
- over 26 mm > 6.0 mm
Typical arrangements of marks can be found in the following illustrations.
FAQ-Reference: PI-05-03. Rev 0.
No! Green Pin® products are treated with well designed heat treatment, which results in a certain Minimum Break Load and other specific mechanical properties. These properties will be destroyed by the heat of welding. It even can initiate extreme hard spots and initial cracks, that will decrease the strength and fatigue life dramatically. An exception is made for Green Pin® GH and PAS products, as these need to be welded to a surface to function. For these items, please follow the instructions that are available at Green Pin® sales.
Green Pin® is a sponsor of sling design program 'SlingPro' developed by Engineering Spreadsheets UK. Click here to download this program.
Please find the answer in this document.
If you go to the product pages of individual products on this website, you can download the CAD-drawing (3D) of that product:
- On the product page, go to the table with dimensions
- Select the productsize that you are interested in
- A Download button will appear
If no Download button appears, no CAD-drawing for this product is available.
BN = Bolt & Nut, or safety bolt
CL = Clevis
CP = Cotter Pin
D = D-Handle
E = Eye
EE = Eye-Eye
EJ = Eye-Jaw
EH = Eye-Hook
F = F-Handle
FN = Fixed Nut
FP = Flush Pin
GR10 = Grade 10
GR5 = Grade 5
GR8 = Grade 8
HH = Hook-Hook
HK = Hook
H-type = Horizontal
JJ = Jaw-Jaw
ROV = Remotely Operated Vehicle
S = Shackle
S/S = Stainless Steel
SC = Screw Collar, or Screw Pin
SCL = Swivel Clevis
SE = Swivel Eye
SQ = Square headed Screw Pin
U-type = Universal (Horizontal and Vertical)
V-type = Vertical
Please see this document.
You can download this overview here
Green Pin Tycan® Chain allows companies to achieve a safer working environment for their crew. The soft touch and light weight reduce the risk of bad backs, cuts, bruises or hearing damage. Furthermore, the risk of damage to vulnerable and valuable cargo is reduced significantly, as is the threat of claims from customers. Green Pin Tycan® Chain is very easy to use and up to eight times lighter than a steel chain of comparable strength. This makes even long lengths of Green Pin Tycan® Chain light enough for one person to work with all day long. Your operations will benefit from reduced sick leave, fewer delays and lower transport costs.
100% from Dyneema®, the world’s strongest man-made fiber™, is manufactured by multinational DSM, headquartered in the Netherlands and respected as the premium brand for Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMwPE). Dyneema® is light, flexible and up to 15 times stronger than steel on a weight-for-weight basis.
Green Pin Tycan® Lifting Chain
Green Pin Tycan® Lifting Chain is available with a WLL of 2.6t, 4t, 5t or 6.8t (by use of an 1 leg sling)
Safety factor: MBL equals 4 x WLL
Green Pin Tycan® Lashing Chain
Green Pin Tycan® Lashing Chain is available with a LC 10t or 13.6t
Safety factor: MBL equals 2 x Lashing Capacity
Green Pin Tycan® Chain is waterproof and does not absorb water. It is also resistant to UV.
Green Pin Tycan® Chain is very resistant to oil, dirt, diesel, grease, non-oxidizing chemicals etc. which all have a negligible impact on the capacity or functionality. It can be cleaned with a high pressure hose.
Green Pin Tycan® Chain has a linear elongation of less than 5% at MBL.
The famous twist was discovered by the German mathematicians Möbius and Listing in 1858. The twist distributes the forces in each link of Green Pin Tycan® Chain equally which significantly increases the capacity.
Green Pin Tycan® Chain is type approved for lifting by DNV-GL. Click here to open the first page of our DNV GL type approval certificate: TAS00001X8.
As Green Pin Tycan® Chain is not a rope, a steel chain, a synthetic round sling etc. it did not fall into any existing standards. Therefore, a full, bottom up process was conducted in collaboration with DNV GL. This included multiple testing which include, but not limited to, break strength, fatigue, UV resistance, failure mode, resistance and elongation. The results allowed DNV GL to issue a Technology Qualification for Green Pin Tycan® for lashing. DNV GL issued an Type approval for the Green Pin Tycan® lifting.
Visit www.tycan.com, it has a great video and you can download the brochure. Green Pin Tycan® is available worldwide via our 900+ network of distributors. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or your local distributor.
Components for Green Pin Tycan® Lifting Chain:
Components for Green Pin Tycan® Lashing Chain:
Please find the User Manual here
Whatever your question, the Green Pin® commercial and technical support teams are standing ready to swiftly provide you with a solution.